Skip to main content

Nostalgia

Teddies, dogs, barbies and dreams,
Chocolate, butterscotch, strawberry ice-creams,
Fairies and princes in their magical palace,
The villains with their black evil malice,
School and all its friends, fun and work,
Home and in it, Cartoon Network!
Building friends and our playground,
The broken tooth that was never found,
New clothes and new hair pins to match with them,
Toys and colouring books by the dozen,
Tellytubbies, Noddy and Scooby Doo,
That one school trip to the zoo,
Wearing mom's clothes and her huge shoes,
A new pen and pouch driving away the exam blues,
Wanting to grow up, wanting to be tall,
Tired of being the youngest one and small,
Tired of being called the kid,
Learning to cycle, learning not to skid,
Falling, bleeding, yelling and crying,
Not understanding what was meant by 'dying',
Envying mom for not having exams,
Wanting to be the celebrity with all those fans,
Dreaming of the day with no school,
The day I'll be a teenager, young and cool,
These have become things of the past,
Things to remember till memory lasts,
Duties and rights are now officially mine,
But a lot I left behind in that sacred shrine,
As I grow older and taller, I realize,
I'd like to be innocent rather than wise,
That muddy games and grimy hands,
Those childhood dreams and future plans,
Were so much better than what it is now,
Living through each day, its highs and lows,
When life throws something new every day,
I remember those days when Mom used to say,
"It's good to be a kid, to be young and carefree,
Growing up is not as good as it seems to be"
Now it's all about dreaming of being a child,
Being immature once again, crazy and wild,
For day-dreaming, as now I am berated
I wonder, when did life get so complicated?
Innocence is bliss and childhood is a time,
That'll always be special, always be mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end of the world

If the world ended tomorrow, how would I feel? Would I be sad to see the end? Or think it no big deal? If the world ended tomorrow, would I cry? That with all my things in the world, me and my memories must die? I think it would be a catastrophe, of the greatest kind. I'd be miserable and lost and maybe out of my mind There'd be so much I had to say, so much I kept back, That I thought I had the time for, but it was time that I lack. There'd be memories and stories That'd die with me A lot of love and hurt, a lot of you and me. There'd be more than hurt, a lot of affection and love Which I share with beings but I rarely ever show For it's those you love, that you take for granted but its them you always need but they hardly feel wanted I'd want to yell it out From the top of the world That I've led a great life, and have liked and been loved. That I've been lucky to share these times With you and your smiles...

What do you wish to be?

They asked me a million times, the same thing over and over. "Who do you want to be when you grow up?", they said. Somehow this question has been a constant safe resort for all the distant or close uncles and aunts I (and most of you, I'm sure) have had. They always are interested in our future plans, though often forgetting our answers within the next blink of an eye. Somehow it has collectively become a part and parcel of the Indian (and now worldwide, it seems) psyche, that a person is worthy of notice only if he's working towards some end, passionately. Another thing is, this question that I fully dissected by gauging the motives behind, the tone of and the way of asking, has evolved into something that needs a 'materialistic' answer. I mean, there's this famous saying wherein a kid said "I wanna be happy" when asked this question, and was thought to be simple and innocent by the adults who most probably returned with the same question a few...

The torn blanket

I can barely breathe. As I feel the whoosh whoosh of my seemingly scarce breaths, I want to tell you a story. My story. I was born with 8 siblings, and our mom was a single mom. She didn't ever tell us about our dad, and we never pestered her, as she was good enough for both. She would give us all we needed, keep us warm and happy. She was the main focus in our lives, we would do whatever she asked, and she rarely, if ever, was wrong. Though she wasn't a very emotional woman, I knew she loved me a little better than my siblings. Maybe because I was a little weak at times, got a cold and fever too often. I still remember how once when we were kids, and others were ridiculing me for feeling cold all the time, she had bought a new blanket, a unique one, made by an old woman who was the only obstetrician and also a magic-worker in my mom's village. She had silently walked in while we tossed and turned in our sleep, and covered me with it, and I don't think I ever felt more...