Skip to main content

The Bracelet

She had a way with words, and he hardly ever spoke,
She was careless and free, and he fixed all she broke,
She ranted on for ages, and he was content to just listen,
She tried to let it go unseen, but he saw the tear glisten,
She didn't want to tell anyone, and he never tried to ask,
She didn't show it much, her feelings were always masked,
She wouldn't communicate, though to him she often talked,
She thought he didn't notice, and his intelligence she mocked,

The year was a year of trial for him, and he repeatedly failed,
The attempts he cautiously advanced, she repeatedly assailed,
The fears and worries he had about her, were getting bolstered,
The rebukes that he got from her, his dread they slowly fostered,
The repelling and rude ways and anger, didn't get him to surrender,
The first day she left early, he peeked into her office and calender,
The year gone past he couldn't see, it was wiped neat and clean,
The past and present he read, and got shocked at all that had been.

That day she fell ill, leaving early, and he left early too,
That taxi of her's he followed, as through the traffic it flew,
That evening she was looking pretty, he noticed and forgot not,
That she had worn a certain bracelet, which he had once bought,
That evening was the one she chose, the time to end it all,
That car-ride was the first time, that she didn't pick his call,
That bracelet given by him, it hid a very deep wound,
That was her own doing, by her past she was bound.

He found her alone, crying as she crumpled on the roadside,
He still didn't ask her what happened, but she decided to confide,
He never had imagined all of it, but he bore it with indulgence,
He listened to her words of sorrow, poison and vengeance,
He was moved to tears, when he heard what she'd planned,
He consoled her all he could, her trust at last he gained,
He saw the last of tears, and brought back the first smile,
He was permitted in her heart, she never was again hostile.

When love is universal, why's it said it's only for the pretty?
When someone is scarred or impaired, why do they get only pity?
When she was pretty but was abused, why not treat her with dignity?
When he isn't a verbose guy, why does that speak his ineligibility?
When an attachment breaks, why does that reduce his or her geniality?
When he prefers a guy not a girl, why does that imply impurity?
When we all hate stereotypes, why do so many of us fall prey?
When we all are born to live, why do so few of us stay?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end of the world

If the world ended tomorrow, how would I feel? Would I be sad to see the end? Or think it no big deal? If the world ended tomorrow, would I cry? That with all my things in the world, me and my memories must die? I think it would be a catastrophe, of the greatest kind. I'd be miserable and lost and maybe out of my mind There'd be so much I had to say, so much I kept back, That I thought I had the time for, but it was time that I lack. There'd be memories and stories That'd die with me A lot of love and hurt, a lot of you and me. There'd be more than hurt, a lot of affection and love Which I share with beings but I rarely ever show For it's those you love, that you take for granted but its them you always need but they hardly feel wanted I'd want to yell it out From the top of the world That I've led a great life, and have liked and been loved. That I've been lucky to share these times With you and your smiles...

What do you wish to be?

They asked me a million times, the same thing over and over. "Who do you want to be when you grow up?", they said. Somehow this question has been a constant safe resort for all the distant or close uncles and aunts I (and most of you, I'm sure) have had. They always are interested in our future plans, though often forgetting our answers within the next blink of an eye. Somehow it has collectively become a part and parcel of the Indian (and now worldwide, it seems) psyche, that a person is worthy of notice only if he's working towards some end, passionately. Another thing is, this question that I fully dissected by gauging the motives behind, the tone of and the way of asking, has evolved into something that needs a 'materialistic' answer. I mean, there's this famous saying wherein a kid said "I wanna be happy" when asked this question, and was thought to be simple and innocent by the adults who most probably returned with the same question a few...

Faraway

Safe in the knowledge, or so it seemed, That things lasted, she happily dreamed, Of the day he'd come back, the day he'd call, Of the day he'd embrace her, and call her his doll, Every birthday of his, she'd make a card, Plaster it on his wall, pristine white paint scarred, Every anniversary of theirs, she'd decorate the house, In the hopes it brought back her long lost spouse. Little did she know, in a village, in a faraway land, Was a prisoner of war, with no right hand, Learning to write with his left, an alphabet a night, For the days brought torture, and his never ending fight, Every birthday of hers, a tree he secretly planted, In the hope that some clean air to her he granted, Every anniversary of theirs, a word more he wrote, In the hope that one day, she'd read all he spoke.