Skip to main content

The endless battle

Mom asked her to pray to Him,
She asked Mom who and why?
Mom said He will be your saviour,
You're always under His eye.

She asked Mom for proof He lived,
Because Him she never saw,
But Mom said faith she should have,
Skepticism her only flaw.

Dad asked her to wear a dress,
So much longer than she liked,
It covered her arms and midriff too,
She hated and disliked.

She said it wasn't in fashion,
Not the style she adhered,
He said it wasn't about fashion,
T'was her safety he feared.

She wanted a new little crop-top
Nice, sexy and short
But only a blouse that short was allowed,
Traditional's all she could sport

They told her not to talk to this guy,
He could be a potential threat,
To her peace, sanity and innocence,
About him and her they fret.

She said "It's just a date and nothing else"
They said there's no such thing as a date,
A single slip or mistake could,
Completely ruin her fate.

She wanted to get a tattoo done,
Or have her hair colored red,
When she mentioned these to them,
They stared at her in dread.

"Stay natural" they said to her,
Nature gave you beauty,
And she complied silently,
Complying being her duty.

She wanted to do a part time job,
And earn and fend for herself,
They said "We have saved up for you",
Even while inconveniencing themselves.

She wanted to move out on her own,
Just to get some space,
They said, "The house is yours to use,
For all your living days."

She wanted to move and dance around,
Like a vagabond,
But they were tired and growing old,
For her they always longed.

She felt encumbered one time,
And intruded in on at another,
But she saw why she needed them,
A father and a mother.

While fury and frustration this,
in many like her has caused,
She learnt to think of it like them,
One day when she paused,

Oh it's the battle always fought,
The one that never ends,
It is the generation gap that,
Itself never mends,

Right in their place they were,
Right in her's was she,
And these fights never seem to end,
However old she may be!

But she sees what they mean,
when they say what they do,
That though it doesn't seem like it,
They've been through all this too.

Teenage, the hormones, and all the rush,
And the youngster's spirit,
They had their own days of youth,
When they were nice and fit,

And right though in her place she is,
She will still bow down and obey,
Coz she will get to impress her opinions too,
When she is a parent one day!

And this is how the generation gap,
Gapes on through the decades,
Time machines we shall now need,
If we wait for when it fades!

Comments

  1. Hey :)
    Your poems and short stories have really set a new standard to the writer in me . Would you mind checking out my blog and probably provide me with some constructive criticism ?
    Oh and I'm shreyeesh's cousin too by the way :)
    - meera
    http://www.wordmith.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meera,
    thank you so much! :)
    Shreeyesh did tell me about you yesterday, and yes, I'll check your blog whenever I get free :) It should not take more than a day or two. Thanks, and keep visiting
    -Aishwarya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Internship: The beginning

So I've noticed, and I'm sure you have too, how my blog has no real (or maybe way too little) information about me. It's all mostly a collection of vague poems, deep emotions and disturbing recollections. The reason for the exclusion of my life adventures from this blog is not insane paranoia about my private life, but the general lack of happening events that my life presents. Now that I'm on an intern in Canada for the summers, I thought I'd make this blog a little more personal, and let all you (if there are any) people get a glance at what I hope will be a happening and tale-worthy part of my life. Leaving any space is always quite hard. However, this last semester was like an iron club in pendulum motion, and every time I stood up, it hit me back down, periodically. Bashed and beaten by this semester, the approaching date of departure for my intern happened to be a date I wished upon myself faster, and hence as life is generally known to do, came crawling sl

Choices

There was a time when I'd do anything for you, When I'd trade my sleep, just so you slept without jostles, When I'd say anything I could, just to make you smile, When all my air had, were beautiful castles, That was the time when a single smile from you, Was enough to brighten my darkened day, When just to see the light of your face once, My whole life's aspirations at stake I'd lay, Then I felt the change, the cold, don't know if you felt it too, A pull from somewhere a little far, from somewhere between me and you, I went on to hold new hands and make new dreams, Held on, as some old ones came at the seams, But through all of the new as I walked here and there, I kept one thing in my mind throughout, No matter where the pulls of growing up took me, I'd keep you within my sight, without doubt, But for a second when once I looked away, To dream dreams of happiness, of freedom, of beauty, In that second some pull made you disappear, Wa

My Water Bubble

Some people think they know themselves. So well. Every facet, every thought, every reaction seems to bring no surprise. And I never was one of them. But then, I thought I had the basics right. A person who can manage fairly good in academics, quite comfortable with elocution, clumsy as hell in anything to do with sports or grace, okay at friendship, good at maintaining relationships, and really senti whenever things ended. But then, everyone's life has that moment. If you're lucky, you'll have not just one, but many of these. This moment alerts you to some change in you, some parts of you flipped inside out, to show colours which never existed on your spectrum before. This change can be a slow, subtle and calm one, or it can be a huge bang, boom and splash. The calm one is peaceful, so where's the fun in that? The banging change is the one that turns your world upside down, making everything topsy-turvy and is something every adrenaline junkie eyes. I never knew I was