Skip to main content

Pearl

They adopted her. Found her on the roadside, shivering, cold and neglected. Her birth had caused her mother's death and she had no clue who or where her dad was. She had big, beautiful brown eyes and was a meek little thing. People often shot dirty looks at her when she pursued them in hope of some way to soothe the gnawing feeling at the sides of her tiny tummy and she often slept alone on the footpath. The playfulness and happiness she saw others who looked so much like her radiate often made her pine for more from her life. It was at the signal she inhabited that the Dsouzas saw her, and they took pity on her and took her home, as they were kind people. They named her Pearl.

Over the next few weeks, she was thrown into a completely new and unfamiliar environment. She basked in the spotlight, as the mama, papa, the twenties-something son (John) and teenage daughter (Mary) showered her with curious yet kind attention. Gradually, she learned much from them and improved in appearance and health. She soon learnt to love them as much as they loved her. She couldn't talk and articulate words but communicated a lot through those big eyes and her actions. Thus passed 4 years of joy, bliss and happiness.

Tragedy struck 2 years later, when the father, the head of the family passed away. It was a silent and fatal stroke which took him away in his sleep. Pearl found him. She went to his side in the morning, and tried to make him move, and tried to wake him. But to no avail. She got really upset, and went from room to room, throwing the doors open and making enough noise to wake the dead. But he did not wake up. Family and friends thronged the house immediately, for he was a kind and well-respected and also, rich and successful man. That day, Pearl saw something surprising. John and Mary, who were usually together through all times, who took comfort and happiness from each other and from Pearl at all occasions, were not on such good terms with each other. Even their mother seemed more worried than sad, and Pearl, who had always been more of a favourite with the parents, rushed to her to give all the comfort she could.

While they all ate, Pearl sat alone and forgotten in her late father's room. The air in there seemed stagnant and cold somehow. She could hear raised voices from the dining room below, but she did not go to enquire after what happened, as she usually would have done. She felt genuinely sad, and for the first time she could remember, wept her heart out for the man who meant so much to her. The next day, when he took his final journey to the graveyard, John and Mary showed definite signs of having had a disagreement. Neither wept much for their father. It was Pearl who, neither bound by blood nor duty, followed the physical remains of her father figure to the grave, and there she was found, every morning, every day, till her last day.

What had happened? 2 years before his death, Jonathon Dsouza had given his son a place in his business, and together they had taken it from just a business to a full-grown, profit-giving industry as Mary was completing her education. Their father's death and the absence of a will created a discrepancy in how his wealth would be distributed. John felt a greater share was due to him as he had helped create the wealth to be divided, and Mary saw no occasion to support him. Pearl understood none of this and genuinely grieved for all the unrest in the family after the sad event. 

The court sided with the son and gave away a huge chunk to him. Cross and slighted, Mary went on to marry a young businessman. Pearl stayed with her mother, even after John married and moved out. Her mother was growing old and was tired of all that had happened by now, and gradually distanced herself away from her children who had given up each other's acquaintance. She took comfort from Pearl, who took care of her, doing small chores, staying up with her, listening to her talk, understanding her better than any human had ever done. She helped her walk, and see, and in a way, became one of her limbs. And Pearl was the one who was still on good terms with everyone from her former family.

A few years later, Pearl began to be a little slow and fluttery at times. She would often feel pain even after a small walk down the stairs. But she would still visit her father's grave everyday, going against her mother’s wishes, which were that she stayed back and took care of her health. While she was there, at the grave, she could almost see him there, could almost smell him through the stone that covered his decaying remains. Through all her pain, illness and suffering, she became a quieter being. John and Mary, who came to know about her illness, came to meet her often, as they still loved her like a sibling. Doctors had given up, and there was nothing to be done. She seemed to have a little more life when John or Mary came over, and hence they started coming often. In one of these visits, they met and sorted out their problems and got over their differences. Their mother could not have been happier about it. That day, something in Pearl changed. She seemed to be storing away memories of her life, and the house and its people, as her body withered away slowly. She was seen visiting every room, breathing in the air of the garden, her favourite spots in the house. She played the same game she played as a kid with John and Mary. And seemed happy despite all her pain.


The next day, Mrs.Dsouza found her lying cold on her bed. When she was buried, the day after that, Mary, John and their respective families visited. Both of them wept silently, while Mrs. Dsouza gave the eulogy. It went , " Since the day we adopted you, you created a unique place in our hearts with your ever loving and unconditionally grateful nature. You barked every morning to wake us up, you would scuttle down the stairs in great spirits and uplift the spirits of everyone. You would lick my face when I was sad, and somehow took away all the pain. When my husband died, I realized how we did a better job adopting you than nurturing my children. You seemed like the one person in the house who allowed nothing but grief to occupy your mind. While my kids fought over his wealth, you grieved silently and comforted me. You have been my most valuable companion over the last few years. Unknowingly, unwittingly, or maybe knowingly, in your illness also, you have given me the peace of knowing my son and daughter and them, the peace of knowing each other again. Whilst we thought we improved you, you have shown us what true humanity is, not even being a human yourself. You gave us a lot, asking nothing but love in return, and when you gave all you had, you bid us goodbye. Pearl, you are safe, in your oyster now, and may you return shinier than ever.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internship: The beginning

So I've noticed, and I'm sure you have too, how my blog has no real (or maybe way too little) information about me. It's all mostly a collection of vague poems, deep emotions and disturbing recollections. The reason for the exclusion of my life adventures from this blog is not insane paranoia about my private life, but the general lack of happening events that my life presents. Now that I'm on an intern in Canada for the summers, I thought I'd make this blog a little more personal, and let all you (if there are any) people get a glance at what I hope will be a happening and tale-worthy part of my life. Leaving any space is always quite hard. However, this last semester was like an iron club in pendulum motion, and every time I stood up, it hit me back down, periodically. Bashed and beaten by this semester, the approaching date of departure for my intern happened to be a date I wished upon myself faster, and hence as life is generally known to do, came crawling sl

Choices

There was a time when I'd do anything for you, When I'd trade my sleep, just so you slept without jostles, When I'd say anything I could, just to make you smile, When all my air had, were beautiful castles, That was the time when a single smile from you, Was enough to brighten my darkened day, When just to see the light of your face once, My whole life's aspirations at stake I'd lay, Then I felt the change, the cold, don't know if you felt it too, A pull from somewhere a little far, from somewhere between me and you, I went on to hold new hands and make new dreams, Held on, as some old ones came at the seams, But through all of the new as I walked here and there, I kept one thing in my mind throughout, No matter where the pulls of growing up took me, I'd keep you within my sight, without doubt, But for a second when once I looked away, To dream dreams of happiness, of freedom, of beauty, In that second some pull made you disappear, Wa

My Water Bubble

Some people think they know themselves. So well. Every facet, every thought, every reaction seems to bring no surprise. And I never was one of them. But then, I thought I had the basics right. A person who can manage fairly good in academics, quite comfortable with elocution, clumsy as hell in anything to do with sports or grace, okay at friendship, good at maintaining relationships, and really senti whenever things ended. But then, everyone's life has that moment. If you're lucky, you'll have not just one, but many of these. This moment alerts you to some change in you, some parts of you flipped inside out, to show colours which never existed on your spectrum before. This change can be a slow, subtle and calm one, or it can be a huge bang, boom and splash. The calm one is peaceful, so where's the fun in that? The banging change is the one that turns your world upside down, making everything topsy-turvy and is something every adrenaline junkie eyes. I never knew I was